Glass-Rite in Albuquerque offers many different types of energy efficient insulated glass window units, and the same basic cleaning method can be used for all of them. Below are our recommendations for cleaning house windows:
To Wash the Glass:
- Use our Super No-streak Glass-Rite cleaner available in our showroom!
- You can also use a pre-mixed vinegar based solution, or make your own with one part white vinegar to 10 parts water, and mix stronger if needed. You can, of course, also use any ammonia free glass cleaner like Windex or Sparkle.
- Apply cleaner to a soft, lint-free microfiber cloth or paper towel. Feel free to be generous with the cleaner, but avoid getting any of the solution on the window frames.
- Rub cloth with cleaner, first vertically and then horizontally to cover all glass. Follow with a dry lint-free towel, the same way; vertically, then horizontally, and lastly around the perimeter. Repeat if streaks remain after this step.
- To clean butyl (tape) or adhesive off the glass, use a brand new razor blade and glass cleaner for lubrication. Carefully scrape using light pressure, and finish by cleaning the remainder of the glass with a soft cloth.
Spot Cleaning Vinyl Window Frames:
Here are the steps that we propose to remove marks from grease, oil, tape, adhesive, crayons, or paint that may have come into contact with the window frame.
- Start by applying a small amount of a non-abrasive cleaner, such as Soft Scrub, to a clean, wet cloth. You can also use a solvent like Acetone, mineral spirits or Goof Off applied to a clean, dry cloth or paper towel. The solvents must be used sparingly, small spots only, and should be completely washed off the frames when done (use glass cleaner), to avoid discoloration. Do not use solvents on an aluminum window or painted wood window frame since it will damage the paint.
- Finish by wiping clean using a clean, dry, lint-free microfiber cloth or paper towel, and then clean the glass inside the frame as we described above.
Even though Glass-Rite’s windows are almost maintenance free, taking good care of your windows will ensure that they function properly and maintain their appearance. When you are in need of a quality energy efficient window replacement, please contact us for a no obligation, free on-site quote. As always, we’d be happy to help.